Friday, June 6, 2014

#18 2014

Saturday June 7, 2014 is the Belmont Stakes horse race.  Fifty two years ago I was in New York and thinking about going to the race.  Why was I there you ask?  I was in the Army and on my way to Fort Dix, NJ to be deployed to Germany for a couple of years.  I had boarded a plane in Sacramento, CA flown to New York.  At the airport I got a cab to take me to a Hotel.  I was in uniform (class A) the cabbie was very talkative .  He turned the meter off and drove me around Central Park and even stopped by his house.  Then took me to a Hotel which was not far from the race track.  The next day I debated with myself about going to see the race.  I had been stationed at Fort Ord in CA where I had became acquainted with a fellow from New York who was into horse racing.  He name was Harry Leo.  I had a car so along with Harry and  a couple of other guys we would go to the Bay Meadows horse track.  This track was located close to San Francisco.  After a day at he track (Saturday) we would go to SF and Harry would take us to places in China Town to eat.  Harry had a expensive camera he would pawn to have extra money for the track, he was always able to get his camera out of pawn.  I must say I had more winning days than losing days at the track.  I would really get into the races.  On base a kid came around selling newspapers.  I would buy a paper and go right to the racing section.  I kept a file on the horses so that when we went to the track I knew what was going on.  It was a real thrill to see and hear the horses coming out of the last turn heading into the stretch and too have a bet on one of the horses heading to the finish line.  The most I ever won was about two or three hundred.  That was quite a good amount back then on a PFC pay.  We had some good times.  Drank a little but stayed out of trouble.  Back to New York.  On Saturday race day I couldn't make up my mind to go or not.  It wound up I didn't go, I think I watched it on T in the room.  The winner was Jaipur withe Bill Shoemaker up. (I looked that up on yahoo)

Got a taxi  to Fort Dix the next day.  Reported in as required and spent a week or so getting ready to board a troop ship for Germany.  Perhaps another story.
Take care.
Pappy 1

3 comments:

RedRed said...

I like that story, Dad. I always loved going to the racetrack at the fairgrounds with you!

emtes said...

Love your story and that Sandy have memories from you both going :-)
I have only been once to a racetrack. It was real fun and I won on almost every horse I bet on, although not much money.
I do coop lots of horses but they are trotters. I don't get any money from that but I don't have to pay anything either more than my share when I joined. Fun though to have some horses and bet on them when they are on the track :-)
Have a good weekend.
Hugs Mia

Lizzie said...

I love picturing you having beers with a couple buddies at the track. I had no idea you kept a file on the horses - guess that's another thing you & Sandy have in common :)

I also love the story about your taxi ride around New York!

More stories, Dad!