Monday, January 26, 2009

Travel

The other day I got to thinking about a trip to OK when I was a young feller. We were on Hwy 66 in New Mexico. Winter time, cold but clear. At a roadside cafe I saw a auto hauler. As I watched him park his truck and go in the cafe, I began to think about being a trucker. He hauled new cars from the factory to the towns around the country. Got to see a lot of new places. Out on the road. A lot of time away from his family, kinda lonely.

Little did I know that many years later I would be a trucker of sorts. Not hauling new cars. Hazardous materials was my game. In trucking and vacation travel I have been in 27 states and 6 countries. I have seen some very beautiful scenery. The head waters of the Missouri river. The Colorado river where it is only ten foot wide. The Snake river in Idaho. The Columbia river between Oregon and Washington. The Rocky mountains of the West. The great western deserts. Bonneville Salt Flats. The Great Salt Lake. Death Valley. Yellowstone National Park. Moab, Utah with the amazing natural arches. East of the Rockies. The once great grasslands. The Big Sky country of Montana. Grand views of Canada. Drinking to much one night in Canada with my two daughters. A wild Grizzly bear in Yellowstone. Trucking along I-10 on a wonderful spring day close to Palm Springs, a car pulls alongside and a lovely young lady flashes and smiles. A snowy cold day in Nebraska with a ground blizzard. Forty thousand pounds of poison chemicals on board, snow pack covered road. Flash flood in Gunnison, CO. Rocks the size of basketballs and bigger flowing onto the road. So cold the diesel in the fuel tanks turns to jell. Harvest moon rise on the Snake River at Massacre Rocks. Ruts left by the pioneer wagon trains. Washington, DC. Jefferson Memorial, Washington Monument. The Capital. Grand Central Station. Statute of Liberty.

I have been fortunate to see so much of this country.
Pappy1

1 comment:

RedRed said...

That was one crazy night in Canada! Good times!!