Wednesday, June 10, 2015

2015 #5

June 10 was my Dad's Birthday.  Got to thinking about him today.  He is in my thoughts a lot and sometimes in my dreams.  He was a good Dad.  We didn't share a lot but we liked each other.  We did several projects around the house.  Raised chickens when I was in FFA.  I learned a lot from him.  He was a gentle man and his church meant a lot.  I wasn't into church at that time, still not but when I was stationed in West Germany I began to read the Bible he gave me.  I began to have faith.  Religion is a very complicated process.  You have to just accept the teachings in the Bible.  Nine people can read the same passage and come up with nine different meanings.  I just accepted what I read and believed in God.  I think that's what my Dad did.  He went to church on Sunday, sang in the choir, Bible study on Wednesday.  He had fellowship with other members of the church.  This gave him purpose and hope.  I respected my Dad very much.  He seldom used cuss words, didn't drink, smoke, or fool around.  He loved my Mother.  They had a hard time in the early years of the marriage.  Dad was a share cropper in OK and didn't have much money.  It was in the 1940's so he used horse and wagon to go to town and till the fields.  In 1946 we packed up and moved to Dixon, CA.  (not just us, there were 4 kids by this time, but his father in-law and a couple of brothers in-law)  He worked on a farm for a while, then got a job in construction.  Dad never got past the 6th grade.  But he made sure I studied and learned my lessons.  He was not shy about using his belt on me to keep my attention.  I can reminder those times still.  Thanks Dad.  As a kid growing up sometimes you don't appreciate your Dad.  As I get older my respect and appreciation grows for what he stood far and how he lived his life.

Happy Birthday Daddy. RIP

Pappy1
      

No comments: