Wednesday, June 24, 2015

2015 #6

As I was leaving the house this morning to do some errands, I was greeted by by a pleasant morning.  The street was quite, and rather nice looking.  I paused for a minute and thought about my uncle's on my Mother's side of the family.  They were all hard working and honest men.  As they got older and retired little changed in their life.  They didn't work any more, but they still went to the bar on Saturday.   I am talking about thee three single brother's who lived together.  Each had medical trouble at various times.  But they remained friends.  As some of their friends got older and needed a place to live, they fixed some of the out buildings up to be liveable space for them.  On winter days they would sit on a bench in the sunshine and talk.  There was never a lot of emotion showed.  Just a comfortable friendship.  No boasting or bragging.  Memories of the life they had lived.  I admired these men.  World War Two veterans, and one a Korean War vet.  They lived a quite unassuming life.  Providing for themselves not dependent on anyone.  When I was younger I worked along side each of them.  They taught me many things.  I can say we never had a cross word among us.  I never got money from them, but if I needed help on fixing a car or something they were there.  After I got married and moved to another state, I wasn't in touch with them as much.  Whenever I went back to see Mom and Daddy, I would always make a point to visit my Uncle's.  These were great men in my life.  I thank them for the love and caring they showed me.  They have all passed on now.
Pappy1
   

2 comments:

Lizzie said...

I remember when we went to the diner in Dixon and spent some time with Clyde (or was it Walt?) I also remember going over to their place with Grandma when she would clean their house. Mart always had iced oatmeal cookies. :)

Kteach said...

I always felt very comfortable with the 3 uncles, they were always nice to me and I enjoyed going to the bar (Dawson's?) and have a drink with them. I remember my first Christmas in the US, I brought a bottle of champagne over my in laws and they wouldn't let me bring it in. I was upset and after dinner I went outside the house, by our car, and Walt, Clyde and Mart came out with me and all of us polished the bottle :)